Because cocoa in the Dominican Republic is fermented centrally instead of at individual farms, this trip dives deep into this process by visiting two fermentaries. The trip also includes a day of hiking to a cocoa farm and certified bird sanctuary, where guests will learn all about cocoa genetics, taste varieties of cocoa, enjoy a campfire, and spend the night on the reserve. Additional activities include visiting farms and chocolate-makers, birdwatching, tasting local Dominican food and culture, and more.
This trip is six days long, including arrival and departure days. Minimum age to participate is 16 years old.
- Spend the night at a bird sanctuary and cocoa farm
- Visit a local chocolate maker
- Taste a variety of cocoa fresh off the farm
- Visit two fermentaries and two cocoa farms
- Learn about cocoa genetics and caring for cocoa
- Enjoy a free day of canyoning, swimming, deep sea fishing, surfing, and more (Not included in the trip price)
- Taste local Dominican food and experience the local culture